RESPONSIBLE SOURCING SPECIALIST, POLAND
Are you ready to take up the challenge of ensuring companies comply with environmental standards and regulations?
NEPCon (Nature, Economy and People Connected) is a non-profit organisation that works for sustainable land use and climate-friendly solutions. With 250+ staff around the world, our projects build capacity, raise awareness, conserve nature and streamline sustainability through innovation.
Our activities are growing, and we are therefore seeking an enthusiastic sustainability professional to support the provision of NEPCon services to clients in Poland as well as globally, in these main areas:
1. Responsible Sourcing Specialist – Timber Legality:
You will lead NEPCon’s client relationship with timber legality clients in Poland and globally, including large retail clients. This will include scheduling and conducting risk assessment and mitigation activities, aimed at meeting the requirements of the EU Timber Regulation (EUTR) as well as clients’ bespoke sustainability criteria. This will include working closely with NEPCon staff and clients based in Europe and source countries to conduct robust due diligence on the risk of illegal timber harvest transport and trade. The main focus will be to support the NEPCon Solutions team to conduct risk assessments, liaise with regional teams in China, Africa, SE Asia and other source countries to assess the risk of illegal timber in supply chains. You will also be working closely with companies to implement solutions to problems, through training, creation of documented due diligence systems, providing support to help them implement segregation and chain of custody systems, implementing new procedures for collecting documentation, and improving communication with their suppliers around the world.
2. Responsible Sourcing Specialist – Other:
You will provide advisory services to a portfolio of clients in the timber, palm oil, textiles, soy, beef and other natural resource sectors, to support them in their goals to meet legal requirements (such as the EU Timber Regulation), established sustainability standards (incl. FSC®, RA SAS, SBP, RSPO, POIG, CanopyStyle, etc.), and bespoke sustainability requirements (e.g. an organisation’s own Sustainability Policy).
3. Sales & Marketing:
You will also conduct sales and marketing activities to raise the profile of NEPCon, incl. translation and/or creation of marketing and sales materials, conducting sales meetings, creating budgets and proposals, attending stakeholder events and conferences, sales meetings and other activities. You will also facilitate NEPCon’s global team of staff to understand NEPCon services and effectively sell these services in the market.
4. Administration & Internal Support
- Higher education (at least bachelor’s degree) in the field of forestry, biology, geography, environmental management, law, international development, international policy, or related field.
- 3+ years of work experience in the timber processing/trading sector, certification sector or related field.
- Detailed knowledge of forestry legislation and policy context, as well as associated laws around transport and trade of timber products.
- Detailed knowledge of, or experience working in, one or more of the following areas: timber processing industry, wood trade, forest management, nature protection, wood biomass industry, or similar area.
- Detailed knowledge of, or experience working with, Chain of Custody systems and traceability systems for wood products.
- Understanding of risk-based approaches to legality and sustainability assessments.
- Strong numeracy: competence and understanding of numerical data, statistical calculations and volume data.
- Excellent spoken and written Polish and English is essential for this position. Fluency in at least one additional language (French, Russian, German, Italian or others) will be highly valued.
- Proficiency in the MS Office package and good understanding of administrative IT systems.
- You have a high level of integrity and business ethics combined with customer service skills.
- The nature of the job requires you to work independently and remotely from your colleagues, so it is essential that you possess a high level of self-discipline and the ability to organise and manage yourself and your time in order to meet deadlines, as well as making independent decisions.
- You are comfortable travelling internationally as part of your job role.
- You’re are a confident public speaker and able to provide training to a variety of audiences and represent NEPCon at external events.
- You have an analytical approach and are able to identify non-conformities and risks when assessing client procedures.
- You are an open and friendly person, who is competent and enjoys communicating with people on all levels.
- You are a constructive team-player and have an open attitude towards other cultures, as we collaborate across borders in our organisation.
- You are comfortable working in a remote-working environment, where most communication with colleagues around the world occurs via email, Skype and telephone.
- You believe in NEPCon’s vision and mission and want to contribute to fulfilling it.
- Work time: 40 hours/week
- The position reports to the NEPCon Solutions Deputy Director for Europe and Russia, based in the UK
- Working location: NEPCon’s office in Krakow, or from home office or co-working space elsewhere in Poland. Other locations can be considered for exceptional candidates.
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible
- International training in certification services provided by NEPCon
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative international organisation with a mission-driven work atmosphere
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- All employees are members of the organisation and have the opportunity to contribute to the overall development of NEPCon through the annual General Assembly
- Potential international travel opportunities.
How to apply?
Please submit your CV and letter of application (in English), including salary expectations, by 2 February 2020 via the application form on this site: https://www.nepcon.org/careers/responsible-sourcing-specialist-poland
NEPCon wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
If you have questions about this position, please contact Sarah Hickman, NEPCon Solutions Deputy Director Europe & Russia, shickman(at)nepcon.org, +44 (0)7825 706965