Medior expert East Africa (fulltime, 36 hours)
IUCN NL is recruiting a qualified mid-career professional with at least three years expertise in East Africa to help our Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) combat the illegal trade in wildlife and contribute to green and inclusive development in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Since a couple of years, IUCN NL is combating illegal wildlife trade in the Greater Virunga Landscape. Wildlife crime has a major impact on biodiversity and compromises the security of communities. With EU support, IUCN NL works a.o. with IFAW (International Fund for Animal Welfare) and Virunga National Park to strengthen cross-border community participation in combating illegal wildlife trade in the Greater Virunga Landscape and its protected areas in Uganda and DRC. From our Amsterdam office, we aim to contribute to the stabilization, sustainable development and management of this important cross-border nature reserve for future generations.
For strengthening the team, we are looking for a medior expert East-Africa. Do you have (field) experience working with local partners in the south? Are you an enthusiastic French speaking team player? And available in the short term?
- Establish overall annual reports, planning and budgeting framework for our EU-funded and other programs working in the DRC/East African region on countering illegal Wildlife trade, promoting sustainable development and support local communities.
- Deliver results against set targets and objectives.
- Coach and facilitate learning and networking with, and for local partners.
- Implement M&E and reporting systems for tracking implementation progress, quality assurance requirements and delivery of results and impact.
- Provide information and design products needed to demonstrate and communicate what we do to partners and donors, working closely with the communications officers.
- Support the development of IUCN NL DRC programs, linked to fundraising and partnership development.
- Support the design of effective interventions against wildlife and environmental crime such as investigations, alternative-livelihood programs, human and wildlife conflict, remote sensing and citizen’s science.
- Work with wildlife authorities, protected areas management and build strong relationships and collaborations between managers and surrounding communities.
- Academic thinking and working level.
- Experience and demonstrated comfort in dealing with complex operating environments, challenging field conditions, and cultural and linguistic diversity.
- At least 3 years of experience – including at least 1 year of field work – in leading, developing, and managing programs/conservation projects.
- An intrinsic motivation for the mission and vision of IUCN NL
- Knowledge of and experience with monitoring and evaluation of programs / projects.
- Strong skills in project planning, financing, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Negotiation, influencing, and media relation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in French and English and at least basic knowledge of the Dutch language.
- Willingness and ability to travel at least 3 times a year to the region.
- Hands-on problem solver.
- A valid work permit for the Netherlands.
We offer a position in a dynamic international working environment.
- An appointment for one year (with the prospect of renewal)
- A dynamic position at an international nature conservation organization
- A knowledge intensive working environment and network
- Budget for training and personal development
- Salary and benefits appropriate to the position, experience and level of education
- A green working space in the center of Amsterdam
About iucn nl
IUCN NL is the Dutch national committee of the International Union for Conservation of Nature, the world’s largest and most diverse environmental network. Within the international IUCN umbrella organization, IUCN NL works with NGOs, companies, governments and scientists to strengthen human wellbeing through worldwide nature conservation. IUCN NL’s activities focus on four themes: nature conservation; climate, water & food; environmental justice and green economy. IUCN currently has 35 Netherlands-based member organizations.
apply for this position
According to the GDPR we keep your data no longer than four weeks after the closing date. Your application will be shared with the selection committee only.
No agencies please.