Period: Temporary assignment
Location: St. Eustatius, Dutch Caribbean
Project description: Onsite project management of reforestation project
Do you have several years of experience within the field of environmental project management? Do you have strong social skills, not afraid to get your hands dirty, and are you at your best when working in new environments? If you feel intrigued by the challenge of managing and guiding an extensive reforestation project in the Caribbean, then please continue to read.
For a reforestation project on St. Eustatius, Dutch Caribbean, we are looking for an onsite project manager. Experience in the environmental management sector is essential to this role, along with excellent communication, influencing and facilitation skills as well as engaging with (senior) stakeholders. If this sounds like you then this could be the role for you!
About the project
After hurricane Irma struck St. Eustatius on the 6th of September 2017, ecological damage assessments were made to give insight in to the magnitude and scope of this natural disaster. Based on these assessments, St. Eustatius National Parks (STENAPA) prioritized the restoration activities of the island both inside and outside the national parks. The assessment concluded that there was major damage done to the trees in and around Oranjestad.
Because of the visibility and magnitude of this damage, the reforestation of Oranjestad became one of STENAPA’s priorities. The main goal is to bring back trees in public spaces and peoples yards. Based on the proposals submitted by STENAPA and Mac & Field, the central government (Ministry of Internal Affairs) granted a hurricane relief fund to the Dutch Caribbean special municipality to restore the damage brought to the environment by hurricane Irma and Maria.
STENAPA has approached environmental consultancy Mac & Field to execute this project. In collaboration with the local governmental department of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries on St. Eustatius (Landbouw Veeteelt en Visserij (LVV)), a plan has been drafted to establish two plant nurseries
or greenhouses specifically for the reforestation projects.
The project consists of 3 main phases:
1. Construction of two plant nurseries and preparations for growing plants.
2. Sourcing and growing plants.
3. Planting out trees in and around town at designated areas.
In addition, project communication with stakeholders and the local community is a permanent activity.
What we ask
The onsite project manager will oversee operations on a day-to-day basis, and ensure that work is done safely, on time and within budget and to the right quality standards (e.g. implementing protocols). The one-site manager is also responsible for training the ranger(s) provided by STENAPA on proper plantcultivation, and co-writing maintenance and care guidelines.
Duties include, but may not be limited to:
– Oversee proper execution of greenhouse build and water catchment system.
– Oversee proper execution of plant and seed purchase, cultivation and care, preparation of planting sites and transplantation of plants together with designated team.
– Leading and training the designated project team.
– Problem solving (technical) issues (i.e. irrigation).
– Responsible for budget maintenance, time management and quality.
– Close contact and communication with key stakeholders and assist in regular project meetings with key stakeholders to review progress.
– Cater to the client’s site safety policies, environment and sustainability strategies.
– Relevant, or similar work experience as a project manager in forestry/botany.
– Experience within the Caribbean is an advantage.
– Experience in project planning and effective time scheduling.
– Able to mobilize and motivate people, generate enthusiasm within the community and project partners.
– Familiar with managing financial aspects of a project.
– Ideally professionally qualified in one of the following fields: project management, environmental management, forestry, biology. BASc / BSc level is preferred.
– Fluency in English is required. Good command of Dutch is an advantage.
– A problem solver, with enough patience, perseverance and enthusiasm. You possess of customer-oriented thinking and strive for quality.
– Strong communication skills.
– Available to work 32 – 40 hours per week.
What we offer
You will work in close collaboration with STENAPA and LVV, and report directly to Mac & Field. You will get a unique opportunity to work in a challenging Caribbean environment, where we can offer you an assignment for a temporary period, with an attractive salary. Start date to be determined with candidate.
Interested?! Then send your cv and a motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org