Forestry Technical Advisor
ZSL’s Business and Biodiversity programme is looking for a thoughtful and proactive individual to join the team. The Forestry Technical Advisor will be responsible for the technical oversight, development and management of the SPOTT timber and pulp assessments, as well as line managing two staff members.
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to lead more sustainable lives and to support and enable direct conservation action.
ZSL recognises the significant threat posed by irresponsible and unsustainable business practice to global biodiversity and the landscapes in which we work. The Business and Biodiversity programme works to address these threats and to deliver a ZSL mission target to ensure best practice becomes business-as-usual. SPOTT is ZSL’s flagship initiative to deliver this, addressing the lack of corporate transparency and accountability that hinders progress towards sustainability. Our vision for SPOTT is that companies report transparently on the implementation of best practice and can be held accountable to this. SPOTT currently monitors 70 oil palm producers and traders representing over half of global oil palm landbank, 50 timber producers and traders and will shortly be releasing assessments of rubber companies against a framework of best practice. The tool provides resources and guidance for the companies and investors to monitor and manage ESG risk. SPOTT has more than 200,000 website views from over 32,000 unique users and is an established and trusted dataset enabling informed engagement between financiers, producers and traders.
ZSL’s Business and Biodiversity programme is looking for a thoughtful and proactive individual to join the team. The Forestry Technical Advisor will be responsible for the technical oversight, development and management of the SPOTT timber and pulp assessments, as well as line managing two staff members. The Advisor will also assist in the development and implementation of ZSL’s Strategy with the tropical forestry sector, providing technical support on forestry-related issues, particularly environmental best practice for production, and representing ZSL in its relationship with relevant industry groups and companies. The position is to start as soon as possible and will be based in the ZSL London offices at Regent’s Park.
- BSc/BA in a relevant subject or relevant experience; a Masters would be desirable.
- Technical knowledge of environmental best practice within the tropical forestry sector is essential. Broader knowledge of sustainable commodities relevant to producer sustainability and transparency is desirable – particularly rubber production.
- A minimum of two years’ work experience working on sustainability issues related to forestry and/or agricultural commodities, with a strong preference for tropical forestry-relevant experience.
- Experience in project management and delivery – ideally content platforms similar to SPOTT – to include associated budgets management, staff management and stakeholder relations.
- Familiarity with legality issues in the tropical forestry sector, particularly the EU Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade (FLEGT) Action Plan is desirable.
- Excellent written and spoken English. The ability to communicate in French is strongly desirable.
- Candidates must have the legal right to work in the United Kingdom.
what's on offer:
This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday, stakeholder pension where the employer minimum contribution is 7%, complimentary zoo tickets and more!
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the “Apply for this job online” button below. If you have any queries regarding these positions or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 14th July 2019.