Bat field surveyors (16 hours a week or more)
We are looking for enthusiastic field surveyors to join our Bat Team in 2021! This job gives you a great opportunity to gain experience in ecology and you will gain invaluable skills for future ecologists and bat research.
The work effort will be from 16 hours a week for a set period of time: from May to the end of July (possibly extended to the end of September). In agreement the hours can be increased up to 32 hours a week.
Bat research takes place from May to the end of September, in accordance with the research protocols (vleermuisprotocol 2021). Surveys are carried out around dusk or dawn for approximately 2 hours (excluding travel time) by two surveyors, so you never work alone. Sometimes surveys are combined with swift surveys (Apus apus) too and these start 2 hours before dusk.
You will do research for various projects. Bureau Viridis mainly works in the centre of the country (provinces Utrecht, Gelderland and Zuid-Holland). We run a hands-on workshop before the start of the season for those that need some training or just to refresh your skills and get you up to speed with our equipment (https://www.bureau-viridis.nl/academy/cursussen/vleermuizen-ecologie-en-akoestische-determinatie).
- It is important to have passion for wildlife and an interest in species determination, and preferably some experience with surveys of bats or other animals.
- We are looking for precise people who are always on time and accurate with registration of research data.
- Given the research times, you have to be willing to work at night.
- Another crucial requirement is that you have a driving licence. Having your own car is not a necessity.
- A good understanding of the English language is also strongly desired.
If you like to have more information or want to apply for the position, please do not hesitate to contact Natasja Groenink at 06-28850639 or via email email@example.com.
If you are looking for a placement or dissertation project, please contact us too and we can discuss the options.