Assistant Manager Tchimpounga Sanctuary Island Site
The Island Site Assistant Manager is responsible for the general supervision of the Island Rehabilitation Site, including a base-camp and three chimpanzee islands. Duties include daily visits to the secured staff-camps at each island to ensure adherence to proper protocol and procedures, as well as a permanent presence at the base-camp for various administrative and managerial duties.
Founded in 1977, the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) USA is an international non-governmental organization that continues Dr. Jane Goodall’s pioneering work on chimpanzee behavior and conservation. Its mission is to understand and protect chimpanzees, other apes, and their habitats, and to work towards creating an informed and compassionate citizenry who will help to create a better world for people, other animals and our shared environment. The breadth of JGI’s mission reflects Dr. Goodall’s personal philosophy that the survival of all species, whether chimpanzee or human, depends upon the collaboration of all people.
In 2012, JGI formally adopted an ambitious 30-year goal to protect Africa’s wild chimpanzee populations across the range of their natural habitats. In reaching this goal, JGI will capitalize on its considerable strengths and experience gained from working throughout the chimpanzee range, which includes more than 50 years of chimpanzee behavioral research; nearly three decades of developing people and community-centered conservation strategies; expertise in geospatial technology to innovatively map and monitor human and chimpanzee use of forest resources; and its global environmental and humanitarian youth program – Roots & Shoots.
JGI Congo manages the Tchimpounga Chimpanzee Rehabilitation Center, Africa’s largest chimpanzee sanctuary, established in 1992 through a cooperative agreement between JGI and the Government of Congo – Ministère de l’Economie Forestière (MEF). In 2010 JGI worked with the Congolese government to expand the Tchimpounga Nature Reserve where the Tchimpounga Chimpanzee Rehabilitation Center (“sanctuary”) is located to 129,000 acres. The expansion included annexing three islands (Tchindzoulou, Ngombe and Tchibebe) on the Kouilou River for the purposes of providing a more natural, forest based experience.
JGI Congo also runs a range of education and awareness projects and a project that rescues, rehabilitates and releases Mandrills.
Assistant Manager Island Site , Tchimpounga Chimpanzee Rehabilitation Center (TCRC)
The Island Site Assistant Manager is responsible for the general supervision of the Island Rehabilitation Site, including a base-camp and three chimpanzee islands. Duties include daily visits to the secured staff-camps at each island to ensure adherence to proper protocol and procedures, as well as a permanent presence at the base-camp for various administrative and managerial duties. The Assistant Manager of the Island Site is responsible for supervising six (06) teams of caregiver staff, two (02) teams of kitchen staff and the island maintenance teams, as well as working in cooperation with the island veterinary-nursing staff.
Reporting directly to the JGI Congo Executive Director and on a daily basis to the Country Coordinator .
Location of Employment
Island Site ,Tchimpounga Chimpanzee Rehabilitation center , Pointe Noire, Republic of the Congo.
Duration of Employment
- Supervision of chimpanzee care to ensure:
- Appropriate animal care and adherence to animal care protocols;
- Immediate/proper response to concerns of well-being;
- Proper completion of all daily reports from team-leaders;
- Behavioral data collection by appropriate caregivers, in accordance to protocols;
- Collection of chimpanzee welfare-indexing data, in accordance to protocols.
- Working with the Veterinary-Nursing staff to ensure:
- Proper veterinary protocols and procedures are respected;
- Accurate record-keeping of all veterinary treatments;
- Proper/timely hormone collection and analysis, in accordance to protocols;
- Collection of chimpanzee welfare-indexing data, in accordance to protocols.
- Supervision of construction/maintenance staff to ensure:
- All security procedures and protocols are respected;
- Completion of construction projects and infrastructure maintenance.
- Report writing and submission including:
- Daily chimpanzee and activity updates;
- Detailed monthly reports;
- Quarterly Report Reviews.
- Verification of all staff presence, absence and working-hours.
- Budget management for construction and supplies.
- Ordering and distribution of Island Site supplies.
- Supervision and control of materials, supplies, equipment and storage facilities.
- Verification of quantities and quality of chimpanzee food purchases from local markets.
- Verification food quality and quantities in daily chimpanzee meal deliveries.
- Support the Country Coordinator and Executive Director with hosting site visits by other JGI staff, Congolese partners (including Government officials), funding partners and individual donors.
- Other related tasks as identified and agreed with the Executive Director, JGI Congo.
- Prior experience of animal welfare, sanctuary management or other conservation related project .
- Experience in veterinary medicine .
- Empathy for animals with a strong interest in animal behavior
- Experience of managing staff in a multicultural environment.
- The ability to maintain a positive attitude toward physically and mentally challenging work in remote and basic conditions.
- Proactive, a good sense of humor, self-reliance, and adventurous team spirit;
- The ability to manage with limited communication including minimal access to telephone and internet connectivity
- Excellent social and communication skills and the ability to live and work alongside team members from different countries and cultures and with a wide range of backgrounds and skills
- Fluent English language skills (including writing) and French language skills
Candidates will be required to demonstrate:
The position will be mainly based at the Kouilou River Islands site of the TCRC with occasional travel to, and residence at, other JGI sites as agreed and subject to requirement. All sites are in remote and challenging locations but offer basic accommodation and other amenities. The role will require a high level of physical fitness and mobility.
JGI’s commitment to equal employment opportunities and the value of diversity is an essential part of our business practices and principles. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at JGI will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. JGI’s employees are treated without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, local, and federal laws. This employment opportunity philosophy applies to all aspects of employment with JGI including recruiting, hiring, training, transfer, promotions, job assignments, benefits, compensation, discipline, dismissal, educational assistance, and social and recreational activities.
JGI complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which JGI has facilities. JGI will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, local, or national laws.
Please, submit a CV/ resume of no more than 3 sides and a cover letter. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Due to the volume of anticipated applications, only applicants shortlisted for interview will be
contacted. No phone calls please. Application Deadline: November 1, 2020
Please note: The position will be based in the Tchimpounga Nature Reserve with travel to other JGI sites as agreed and subject to requirement