Location: Fiji, Caqalai
Start Date: Currently Recruiting
Contract Type: 1 Year
Category: Operations and Logistics, Community Development, Marine Conservation, Job Type: Field Operations
GVI Fiji is currently seeking a passionate, dedicated and hard-working Assistant Base Manager to join our team on Caqalai Island in the Lomaiviti Group of Fiji. This role has a dual focus, and the chosen candidate will be expected to help to run the Community Development Program on the nearby island of Moturiki (in conjunction with the Community Outreach Coordinator) whilst helping to support the Program Manager in the day to day running of the base. Global Vision International is an award-winning global volunteer network that utilizes local and international volunteers to design, implement and run community support initiatives throughout Fiji and many other countries across the world.
- Candidates must be willing and able to relocate to GVI’s rustic base of operations on the remote island of Caqalai, in the Lomaiviti Island chain of Fiji.
- The Successful candidate will be based full time on GVI’s base of operations.
- Regular rotations/transport to Suva provided.
Duration: 12 months pending 1-month probation period with good opportunity for extension
Provide support to the Program Manager(PM) running our Marine Conservation and Community Development field base through the following means:
- Help coordinate and deliver GVI training programs to staff and volunteers
- Complete administrative, logistical, & operational tasks to ensure smooth daily running of the base
- Assist in basic accounting, reviewing and updating presentations and documents
- Ensure strict H&S standards are met by staff and volunteers and provide basic first aid advice
- Organise volunteer arrival and departure logistics, help oversee volunteer rotas and base duties
- Support the PM to deliver reports and information as required by GVI
- General office management; email, stationary supplies, computer usage, mobile phone, data etc
- Work alongside staff team to manage a group of 20+ volunteers, ensuring that as a GVI staff member you are approachable and available to the group.
- Provide training and briefings when needed to enable volunteers to have positive impacts on project
- Help ensure volunteers have a positive experience, identify and issues and work towards solutions
- Manage volunteer expectations and ensure they have a good understanding of their role on project
- Manage base resupply, ensuring there is adequate food & supplies for base at the best possible price
- Manage GVI Caqalai social media platforms (e.g Facebook, Instagram) and Alumni Program with input from staff and volunteers
- Assist team to meet GVI fundraising objectives and overall charitable trust
- Keep open, direct and regular communications with the Program Manager to ensure the smooth running of in country operations
- Take on any relevant tasks as delegated appropriately by the Program Manager and the Country Director
Community Project Support
- Work with the Community Program Co-ordinator to help improve and run the GVI community development program on Moturiki Island in line with GVI’s Goals and Objectives.
- Help to support and manage relationships between GVI and local communities to ensure a positive lasting impact.
- Assist on and help develop construction projects such as compost toilets and rainwater harvesting infrastructure, and act as a leader when on project in the community.
- Ensure volunteers are fully integrated into the activities and that the project work is of high quality
- Ensure GVI H&S polices are adhered to at all times
- Ensure Risk Assessments are presented to volunteers and documents are regularly updated.
- Develop and deliver workshops to community members – e.g. Water and Sanitation Hygiene (WaSH), women’s business development, cyclone preparedness.
- Help support and conduct socioeconomic surveys to support community development and marine conservation Working alongside base staff to develop Caqalai Island as an example of environmental best practice & help to support better integration of overarching community development objectives within the Caqalai program.
- Experienced with Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Past expedition and volunteer style work experience, and volunteer work
- Ability to lead by example, good interpersonal skills, strong initiative & positive proactive work ethic.
- Proven experience and competence in administration and logistics
- Past experience or background in community development and outreach or a similar field
Relevant past experience including:
- Community and social Development background, both academic and/or work experience
- Construction and/or relevant project management/planning background
- Past experience with dive operations and marine conservation
- Past volunteer or volunteer management work experience
- Past experience working in remote locations
- Past experience working closely with local communities
- Applications from Fijian nationals are encouraged
This role is based on the idyllic Caqalai Island pronounced ‘than-ga-lai’ in the Lomaiviti Island group. Caqalai is a tiny island (you can walk around it in 15 minutes) defined by white sand beaches and a lush interior. The island is on the edge of an expansive reef system and nearby to 10 small villages located on the neighbouring Moturiki Island. It is the neighbouring communities of Moturiki Island where the bulk of our community outreach work is centered, although Caqalai Island itself acts as a proving ground and prototype for many of the projects we implement on a large scale over on Moturiki. Caqalai Island is about 45 minutes by boat to the nearest landing on the main island of Viti Levu.
- Starting Stipend: $100 USD per week
- All food, relevant in-country transport, and accommodation provided
- Medical Insurance
- In-country training and skill development to align with GVI’s stringent standards
- Good opportunities of promotion within our international organisation
- 4 weeks paid holiday per annum pro rata
- Various opportunities for professional development, certifications and training
- In-country assistance and costs for visa application
- GVI Fiji does not cover flights to/from Fiji
A covering letter and copy of your CV should be sent to email@example.com and cc in firstname.lastname@example.org